Earth Day is this Friday, folks! So to celebrate, we give you 10 superstar artists committed to preserving the planet while making beautiful pieces of jewelry, gifts, and functional art. Going green has never looked so fabulous.
1. ILA employs a growing list of sustainable practices, including using recycled and reclaimed precious metals; responsibly sourced stones; paper-free manufacturing and accounting; use of recycled paper, plastic, and metal when necessary; a motion detecting, timed lighting system to assure that no light or machine is used unless it is meant to be; and everything in their collection is designed and produced in the USA. It’s a pretty rad system! Read more about their journey to green-ness here, and check out their gorgeous jewelry here.
3. Melissa Joy Manning is committed to producing beautiful, handmade pieces in-house that are green certified using recycled and upcycled materials and ethical sourcing. Read more about her ethos here.
5. Dawes Design has been a leader of the sustainability movement since 2005, using recycled gold and responsibly mined stones. Everything is made locally and sourcing is accomplished using sustainable businesses and recycled materials. Not to mention their work is completely gorgeous.
6. Jess Brown’s sweet ragdolls are handmade using antique, found and recycled materials. Each ragdoll features a unique style of her own, and I can’t help but love them all!
7. WASARA employs earth-conscious practices by creating one-time-use products that are fully biodegradable and compostable. Plus, their tableware is as artistic as it is convenient! I love how their creations gather people together and are later cycled back into nature.
8. Chilewich brings to life innovative placemat designs that range from traditional to contemporary and are easy to care for. They are committed to evolving their business and products to help implement earth-friendly practices and to reduce their impact on the environment. Read more about their Green Statement here.
9. BAGGU’s mission is simple: to make high quality, long lasting products, so you can own less stuff. Pretty cool, yes? Using recycled and recyclable materials such as nylon and canvas, each bag is designed to reduce material waste and ensure high quality. Not to mention, their bags are fun and stylish, with equal parts practical and chic! Read more about their eco-ethics here.
10. Modern Sprout is the newest addition to the NEWTW!ST family and by far the most delicious. Not only are they committed to sustainable practices by using recycled, recyclable, and biodegradable materials, their products allow black-thumbs (like me!) and small apartment and space dwellers to grow their own herbs, vegetables, and flowers using a method that is clean and self-sustaining. Being eco-friendly and growing your own food has never looked so good! I’ll take one of each, please.
photo cred: Laura Barton